Caring for the teeth during the holiday season
Written by Scripps West Dental
The winter holidays are a great time to get together with friends and family, exchange meaningful gifts, and enjoy plenty of delicious foods and beverages. It is also a time when many people splurge on sweet treats and sometimes get off of their regular daily routine. This can be detrimental to one’s oral health and wellness. The dentists at Scripps West Dental in San Diego, CA want to educate patients on enjoying the holiday seasons while still caring for their smiles and reducing their risk of oral health problems.
Oral care tips for the holidays
Drs. James Tasto, Debbie Kim, Gary Sigafoos, Bita Farhoumand, and Marisa Zarchy of Scripps West Dental educate patients on caring for their smiles throughout the year and can provide some timely recommendations for the upcoming holiday season. Think about the following tips and keep them in mind when enjoying this year’s festivities.
- Maintain your best oral care routine. It can be difficult to maintain oral hygiene habits with late nights and changes in one’s daily habits. However, it is more important than ever that patients be incredibly mindful of keeping up with caring for their smiles. This means brushing the teeth after every meal and snack, flossing at least once a day, and visiting the dentist for evaluations and cleanings on a six-month rotation. Patients with certain conditions such as periodontal disease or certain medical conditions may be advised to visit the dentist more often.
- Be mindful of the foods and beverages you are enjoying. While all those cookies and candies sure hit the spot, they can be incredibly detrimental to one’s oral health and wellness. This is because bad bacteria in the mouth can latch to sugars and carbohydrates and form an acid that contributes to the development of tooth decay.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Everyone must get enough water to stay hydrated, but this is especially true for those enjoying beverages known for causing dehydration, such as alcohol often enjoyed during holiday parties. Drinking water also helps in flushing away food particles after eating and stimulating saliva flow. Patients with dry mouth will want to maintain salivary flow, and this can be done by regularly consuming water or chewing on sugarless gum.
- Visit the dentist for a post-holiday cleaning. If the holidays hit hard and you may not have been taking as good of care of your smile as you intended, there is no shame in scheduling an extra dental cleaning after the holidays.
- Protect the smile if involved in winter sports. Ice hockey and other outdoor get-togethers may be expected during the holidays as many patients have extended time off of work and school. However, these high-impact sports can also contribute to dental emergencies such as knocked-out teeth. Protect the smile by wearing a mouth guard that can offer an extra layer of protection against irreversible damage to the teeth and gums.
Schedule a visit today with our dentists in Mira Mesa San Diego, CA area patients who are interested in learning more about caring for the smile during the holiday season and throughout the year will want to learn more about dental cleanings and exams in Mira Mesa, as well as routine care at home and in the office. Patients can call Drs. James Tasto, Debbie Kim, Gary Sigafoos, Bita Farhoumand, and Marisa Zarchy of Scripps West Dental to speak to a professional about their oral health needs. The office is located in Suite D at 9420 Mira Mesa Boulevard, Suite D, and accepts new and returning patients who call (858) 695-1776 to request an appointment.